The SAQ.com payment service allows you to make on-the-spot purchases by credit card. This service guarantees a high level of security, reliability and efficiency.
SAQ.com offers a number of features that ensure your financial transaction is processed securely, including the following:
- Secure transmission of the credit card number to the payment server, which redirects the transaction to the institution that issued the card for authorization.
- The information transmitted on the Internet is encrypted.
- The request for authorization for the amount of the purchase is processed immediately.
The payment service is easy to use and free of charge. All you need is a major credit card.
Encoding consists of turning a clearly worded text into an unintelligible text (cryptogram) using cryptographic techniques such as algorithms and keys. Access to a secret key is necessary to decode the information.
Cryptographic systems use a variable length key. You can rest assured that transmission of information is totally secure:
- Depending on the browser, a small locked padlock in the address bar or the status bar indicates that the session is in encoded mode.
- When the session switches to encoded mode, you will see in the address bar that the address http://www.saq.com becomes https://www.saq.com, indicating the use of the SSL (Secure Socket Layer) protocol, which enables the secure transmission of information.
Cryptography is the science of encoding messages so that the content can be understood only by the designated recipient. Encoding in various forms has been used since time immemorial.
Today, encoding is used to transmit digital data via computer network or, increasingly, to ensure confidentiality of important files stored on your computer. The clearly worded text is turned into an unintelligible text using complex mathematical algorithms and cryptograms known as keys. A reverse operation is applied for decoding. Security experts foresee a growing use of encoding for non-classified computer data.
Encoding can be either symmetrical or asymmetrical. In symmetrical encoding, the same key is used for both encoding and decoding. The sender has to convey this key to the recipient in the utmost security.
Asymmetrical encoding requires a key for encoding and another for decoding. Decoding requires knowledge of both keys; one cannot be deduced from a knowledge the other. To send an encoded message, the sender uses the encoding key, commonly known as a public key. The recipient can only decode the message by using a decoding key, commonly known as a private key. No key changes hand when this method is used. However, it requires more time than symmetrical encoding.
The SAQ.com payment service uses asymmetrical encoding, which ensures secured transmission of your credit card number over the Internet.
Paying for Your Purchases
At the time of payment, SAQ.com displays a form on which you are asked to enter your credit card number, year/month of expiration, as well as the security code.
Most major credit cards offer an additional security feature for online purchases, called the security code. This code consists of 3 or 4 numbers (embossed on the front of the card, or printed on the signature strip) that allows a cryptographic control of the information and protects the card owner against fraud. When making online purchases, entering these numbers validates the authenticity of the card. The security code is not contained on the magnetic stripe of the card, and therefore does not appear on the transaction receipt.
The information you enter on this form is encrypted before being transmitted on the Internet, in order to guarantee its confidentiality. It is then transmitted, for immediate processing, to the financial institution. Consequently, you are guaranteed that the information related to your credit card is kept strictly confidential.
The distribution of fraudulent emails (phishing*) is a technique used by scammers to try to reroute funds by usurping well-established company identities. Scammers do this by sending authentic looking e-mails to retrieve personal information from recipients.
To protect customers, the SAQ insists on informing you that no such email will ever be sent to you requesting personal information such as your address, date of birth or credit card number.
However, if you ever receive an email that seems to originate from the SAQ and asks for personal information, do not answer! Immediately contact Customer service to report the incident at 514 254-2020 or by clicking on this link. *In computing, phishing is a criminal activity using social engineering techniques. Phishers attempt to fraudulently acquire sensitive information, such as usernames, passwords and credit card details, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. Phishing is typically carried out by email or instant messaging, and often directs users to give details at a Website, although phone contact has been used as well.
Source : Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia
When you use the payment form, the information retrieved from your credit card is transmitted via the Internet using the SSL (Secure Socket Layer) protocol.
This protocol used by your browser enables secured transmission of information via the Internet to the payment service.
The confidentiality of your information during transmission on the Internet is ensured through encoding.
Procedures Relating to the Protection of Personal Information and Access to Documents
In this policy, "we" means the Société des alcools du Québec, "SAQ", its mandataries and authorized representatives.
By deciding to use or visit our websites, social networks, blogs or any other services that involve the exchange of personal information, you accept our practices respecting the processing and protection of your personal information, as defined hereunder. You agree, among other things, that we may collect and use your personal information in accordance with the provisions herein, subject to our complying with the legislation in effect regarding personal information.
We understand the significance you place on protecting your privacy and we undertake to preserve the confidentiality of the personal information we gather when:
• you visit or register with our websites;
• you enroll with our SAQ Inspire program;
• you participate in our contests, promotions or events;
• you participate in one of our surveys or any other customer study;
• you agree to receive our newsletters, promotional emails, flyers, text messages, and other mailings regarding our products, services, promotions or events that are likely to be of interest to you;
• you subscribe to our social networks and our blogs or you post comments thereon;
• you use our mobile applications;
• you buy products from or return products to one of our branches;
• you submit a job application;
• you contact Customer Service or contact us by any other means to formulate comments, questions, or complaints;
• you appear on our surveillance cameras while visiting one of our branches.
Some Northern villages have enacted regulations providing that their residents must obtain the prior authorization of their local authorities in order to purchase alcoholic beverages.
That is why any customer from these particular northern villages must authorize us, as the case may be, to send a copy of their order (which contains their personal information) to local authorities, thereby enabling us to receive confirmation that the local authority in question has authorized the order.
The French version of this policy is the official version and it will take precedence over the translated English version.
We reserve the right to modify this policy at any time. You may verify whether it has been updated by referring to the "Last updated" date indicated below.
Last updated on September 21, 2015.
We undertake to gather only the personal information required for the purpose for which it was gathered, to successfully run our business by, for example:
• offering the products and services you want;
• managing the files and accounts created for you for our various services and websites;
• enrolling in with the SAQ Inspire program and ensuring the good management of your account and the program overall;
• adequately processing your product and service orders;
• organizing promotional events or activities to which we can invite you;
• sending out mailings regarding our products and services or providing you with information that could be of interest to you;
• conceiving, improving, or commercializing products and services;
• studying, analyzing and preparing marketing activities;
• holding contests or surveys;
• recognizing you on our websites, social networks and blogs and knowing your preferences;
• improving the content of our websites, social networks, and blogs;
• answering your questions and comments;
• identifying attempted fraud and errors, and preventing and protecting ourselves from them;
• ensuring the security and protection of the people and assets in the branches and other buildings under our control;
• verifying whether age requirements for purchasing are being complied with; or
• for any other reason required by law or to successfully conduct our business.
Access to personal information is limited to SAQ employees, mandataries, and authorized providers who need it to perform their work or mandate, to accomplish the objective for which your personal information is gathered.
Cookies are information saved by an HTTP server on your computer's hard drive to identify it (rather than the user). It allows us only to perform various operations such as processing your orders or remembering what products you selected during your visits. In short, cookies allow us to adapt our websites so that they better reflect your interests and preferences.
Our websites use various types of cookies, which do not contain any personal information. Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You may, however, deactivate them by modifying the confidentiality settings of your browser.
We employ relevant security measures to protect your personal information from loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, reproduction, use, unauthorized modification, and also when transferring your information to a third party for processing or for any other purpose.
Moreover, when you make an online purchase from one of our websites, your credit card information is transmitted securely over the Internet while processing takes place thanks to encryption mechanisms (Secure Sockets Layer protocol) used by your browser and our websites. Your credit card information is not kept or saved on our websites.
Although we take steps to prevent any unauthorized access to your personal information, from our websites, social networks, or blogs, you will understand that we cannot guarantee the absolute protection and security of your information on the Internet. You therefore acknowledge and agree that we will not be held liable for any damages resulting from the transmission of confidential or personal information over the Internet and that such disclosure is at your own risk.
You are responsible for your accounts
Furthermore, you must do your part to ensure the security of your personal information. We invite you to act responsibly by:
• creating a unique and complex password that includes letters (including upper case letters), numbers or symbols (e.g. ^, ¨,$,#, /): insert them in a simple password (in a way that makes sense) to make it complex;
• refraining from writing the password on a physical medium (e.g.: on your SAQ Inspire program membership card);
• frequently changing your password(s);
• refraining from disclosing your passwords, user or access codes to third parties;
• immediately informing us of any threat to or loss of confidentiality regarding the passwords, user or access codes associated with your accounts.
We keep your personal information only for the time required to fulfil the purpose for which it was gathered, the whole in compliance with our rules under our records retention schedule. The personal information will then be destroyed securely and confidentially.
You can access, modify, update, or delete any of the personal information you enter in your accounts. You can also withdraw from our mailing lists or opt out (see our undertaking to this end below).
If you are having any issues making these changes, you can reach Customer Service.
We undertake to manage email addresses responsibly and use them in accordance with the law and your consent.
When you enroll in our SAQ Inspire program or our websites, social networks, or blogs, subject to your consent, we may, from time to time, send you promotional offers, rebates, or other advantages respecting products and services by email, mail, text message or otherwise. These promotional offers may sometimes be personalized according to your interests, services you use, or any other information we have about you. This allows us to send you the promotional offers most likely to be of interest to you. In each mailing sent to you, you will have the possibility of removing your name and email address from our mailing list.
Furthermore, depending on circumstances, and within the exceptions authorized by law, we remain authorized to send you emails and other electronic communications even if you have removed your name from our commercial mailings.
Do not hesitate to contact our person responsible for access to information and the protection of personal information in the following cases:
• you wish to have access to, consult or correct your personal information file.
In this case, you must send your written request to our person responsible for access to and protection of personal information:
Ms. Suzanne Paquin, Secretary General and Vice-President, Legal Services
905 De Lorimier Ave.
Montreal, Quebec H2K 3V9
By telephone: 514-254-6000 ext. 5733
By fax: 514-864-3642
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are a public body subject to the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information. You may find more details on this subject in the Access to information.
The trademarks and logos used or posted on the SAQ.com site are trademarks registered either by the SAQ or by third parties. The SAQ logo is the trademark, registered in Canada or elsewhere, of the SAQ. The names or logos of other SAQ products and services appearing on this site are trademarks, registered or not, of the SAQ. The names of all other products, services or companies mentioned on this site may be trademarks of their respective holders. It is forbidden to use any trademark displayed on this site without the written authorization of the SAQ or the holder of the rights to the trademark concerned.
The content of this Website, including text, graphics, images and photographs, is the exclusive property of the SAQ and is protected by the Copyright Act of Canada, by the laws of other countries and by international treaties. Any unauthorized use of this content, including any reproduction, distribution, transmission or public communication is forbidden without the written authorization from the SAQ. Any commercial use of data or resale of data obtained on the SAQ's Internet site is strictly forbidden. Data received while consulting the SAQ.com site are for individual use and may not be reproduced or distributed.
To obtain authorization, email the SAQ at email@example.com.