An ethical sales policy means refusing to sell to:
- persons who are obviously inebriated;
- persons of legal drinking age who are trying to buy alcohol for a minor (even if they are a parent or guardian) or on behalf of someone who is inebriated.
Why is this so important?
- Because alcoholic beverages are products unlike any other, the sale of alcohol is controlled by laws and regulations.
- Because the Act respecting offences relating to alcoholic beverages stipulates that:
- a minor may not purchase alcoholic beverages for himself or another person (section 103.9);
- an adult may not purchase alcoholic beverages for a minor (section 117.1).
- Because the SAQ has implemented a sales ethic to ensure that it sells alcoholic beverages responsibly.
- Because upholding the sales ethic is an integral part of our work and duties. As SAQ representatives, we are duty-bound to abide by it and ensure it is strictly followed.