Barbecued eggplant-cheese stacks
4 (as an appetizer)
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
1 eggplant, cut into slices about 1.5 cm (3/4 in.)
1 red pepper, quartered
1 yellow pepper, quartered
4 slices Haloumi cheese, about 50 g (2 oz.) each
60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
45 ml (3 tbsp.) balsamic vinegar
15 ml (1 tbsp.) Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
30 ml (2 tbsp.) lemon marmalade
60 ml (1/4 cup) basil pesto
30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive oil
- Place the eggplant slices and pepper quarters in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour the marinade over the vegetables, coating well.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the barbecue to high.
- In a microwave bowl, heat the marmalade for 15 seconds.
- Add the pesto and oil. Mix well and set aside.
- Place the vegetables on the hot grill and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- When the vegetables are nearly done, put the cheese slices on the grill and barbecue for 1 minute per side.
- On 4 plates, assemble the stacks by layering, in order, 1 eggplant slice, 1 wedge of red pepper, 1 wedge of yellow pepper, another eggplant slice and finally a cheese slice.
- Drizzle the stacks with the pesto vinaigrette and serve immediately.
Haloumi cheese does not melt when heated. In Quebec you can find Doré-mi, a delicious cheese of the same type.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.