Flank steak marinated in beer
- 250 ml (1 cup) beer (preferably dark)
- 4 French shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) tamarind or lemon grass, finely chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh ginger, chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) maple syrup
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 600 g (1 1/3 lb) flank steak, cut into 4 equal parts
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh parsley, chopped
- In a saucepan, mix together all the marinade ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Place the beef in a large dish and top with the marinade.
- Marinate for 4 to 6 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat the barbecue to medium-high heat, clean and lightly oil the grill.
- Remove the meat from the marinade.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Grill the meat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, simmer the marinade for 5 to 6 minutes and strain.
- Top the steaks lightly with sauce and sprinkle with the parsley.
- Pour the rest of the sauce into a sauce boat.