Beef carpaccio with arugula and Parmesan
- 300 g (10 oz) beef fillet slices
- Fleur de sel
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 10 ml (2 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 100 ml (2/5 cup) vegetable oil
- 7 ml (1 1/2 tsp) lemon juice
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) 15% cooking cream
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 5 ml (1 tsp) brandy or Cognac
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 ml (2 cups) baby arugula
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) aged balsamic vinegar
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) shavings of Parmesan
- Wrap the beef fillet tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place the meat in the freezer for about 1 hour to firm it up.
- Unwrap the beef fillet.
- With a sharp knife, cut the meat into very thin slices.
- On each of 4 plates arrange slightly overlapping slices of beef in a circle.
- Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Combine the egg yolk and mustard in a bowl.
- Add half the vegetable oil, whisking to emulsify.
- Add the lemon juice and the rest of the oil.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Season each plate of sliced beef with fleur de sel and pepper.
- Place a nice bunch of arugula in the centre of each plate.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Top with shavings of Parmesan.
- Serve the beef carpaccio immediately.