- 500 ml (2 cups) 35% cooking cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 6 egg yolks
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) sugar
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Pour the cream into a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Add the two vanilla bean halves to the cream.
- Add the nutmeg and half of the sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring from time to time.
- Meanwhile, add the other half of the sugar to the egg yolks.
- Whisk together until the mixture is foamy and lightens in colour.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Gradually pour the cream mixture into the egg mixture while whisking continuously.
- Remove the vanilla bean.
- Place 4 ramekins, 250 ml (1 cup) each, into a roasting pan at least 8 cm (3 in.) deep.
- Pour water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Pour the mixture equally into the 4 ramekins. Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the ramekins from the pan. Let cool to room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle with the brown sugar. Using a torch, melt the sugar to form a crispy top, or broil for 2 minutes in the oven.
When mixing the cream and the eggs together, do not stop whisking. Otherwise the egg yolks may cook and solidify, thus creating an uneven mixture with lumps.