Red wine braised turkey
- 3 turkey legs, thighs and drumsticks separated
- 200 g (7 oz) bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, cut into petals
- 150 g (5 oz) white mushrooms, halved
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) red wine
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Season the turkey pieces with salt and pepper. In a bit of olive oil in a skillet over high heat, brown the meat in two batches, about 15 minutes per batch. Transfer to a large casserole.
- In the same skillet, cook the bacon, about 5 minutes. Degrease and add the onion and mushrooms. Continue cooking for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, stir and cook another 2 minutes. Deglaze with the red wine and reduce by half, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the casserole.
- Add enough broth to reach half the height of the turkey pieces so the skin stays crispy. Add the bay leaves and thyme, cover and let simmer for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. After 90 minutes of cooking, taste the sauce and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Serve with a green salad and steamed rice, or fettuccini, with butter.