Casserole of cabbage layered with Italian sausage and Parmesan
- 1 large Savoy cabbage
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 4 Italian sausages (spicy or mild, to taste)
- 1 L (4 cups) Marinara sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) parmigiano reggiano
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) mozzarella, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large pot, bring to a boil a small quantity of salted water.
- With the tip of a chef's knife, remove the cabbage stalk.
- Remove the leaves one by one.
- Blanch the cabbage leaves, a few at a time, for 1 minute until soft.
- Cool in iced water.
- Drain and remove the large veins at the base of the leaves.
- Set aside.
- Remove the sausage membranes and pull the meat apart coarsely.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Brown the sausage meat for about 5 minutes. With a fork, pull the meat apart while
- cooking. Remove from the heat.
- Add the Marinara sauce.
- Stir and set aside.
- In a 23 cm (9 in.) Dutch oven, place 1/5 of the sauce.
- Sprinkle with 1/5 of the parmigiano reggiano.
- Top with 1/4 of the cabbage leaves.
- Repeat the previous steps until obtaining 4 layers of cabbage. Top with the sauce and parmigiano reggiano.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the lid and the excess fat if needed. Sprinkle with mozzarella and cook in the oven for 5 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.