Fattoush (Lebanese salad)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) garlic, minced
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) chili flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sumac (optional)
- 1 pita bread
- 1 small romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into 2 cm (3/4 in.) dice
- 1 English cucumber, cut into 2 cm (3/4 in.) dice
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) green onion, finely sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 cm (1/3 in.) dice
- 4 radishes, cut into thin slices
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh mint, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients. Stir well.
- Separate the pita bread into 2 round single layers and place it on a baking sheet.
- Toast in the oven for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, mix together the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, radishes, parsley and mint.
- Toss with the dressing.
- Placethe salad on the serving plate.
- Break the pita bread into coarse pieces and add to the salad.
- Serve immediately.