White fish fillets with tomato sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) white wine
- A few slices of onion
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk of celery, finely diced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 thick fish fillets (cod, haddock, halibut), at least 150 g (5 oz) each
- Tomato sauce (see Eggplant Parmigiana recipe)
- Parsley or chives, chopped
- In a saucepan, bring to a boil the water, lemon juice, white wine, vegetables, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Sieve or strain the mixture.
- Pour the liquid back into the saucepan and drop in the fillets.
- Simmer over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pat the fillets dry with paper towels, and place them on plates. Top with tomato sauce.
- Garnish with parsley or chives.
To keep the delicate taste of white fish, don't add too much sauce. A small quantity is enough.