- 7 ml (1 1/2 tsp) butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 kg (2 lb) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 500 ml (2 cups) 35% cooking cream
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground nutmeg
- 7 ml (1 1/2 tsp) sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 150 g (5 oz) Emmenthal cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Butter a 20 cm x 20 cm (8 in. x 8 in.) oven-safe dish.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the dish with the garlic.
- Place the slices of potatoes in tight layers.
- Pour the 35% cream into a bowl. Add the seasonings.
- Top the potatoes with the cream.
- Cook in the oven for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender (insert the tip of a knife to check).
- Remove from the oven.
- Top the potatoes with grated cheese.
- Increase the oven temperature to 190°C (375°F).
- Place back in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
Peel and slice the potatoes without rinsing them to avoid losing their starch.