Pad Thai with shrimp
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) cooking oil
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 250 ml (1 cup) shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh ginger, grated
- 500 g (1 lb) raw shrimp (21/25), peeled and deveined
- 500 ml (2 cups) bean sprouts
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fish sauce (nuoc-mâm)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 20 ml (4 tsp) brown sugar
- 200 g (7 oz) rice noodles
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) cornstarch
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) cold water
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) peanuts, toasted
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh coriander, chopped
- In a large cooking pot, bring salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat and brown the green onions, garlic, mushrooms and ginger.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the bean sprouts and cook for a few more minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together the fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice and zest, and the brown sugar.
- Add this mixture to the wok and stir to combine.
- Cook and drain the noodles. Add to the wok and stir.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in cold water and pour into the wok to thicken the whole mixture. Stir well.
- Divide between plates.
- Garnish with toasted peanuts and chopped coriander.