- 30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 500 g (1 lb) medium ground beef
- 250 g (1/2 lb) ground veal
- Meat from 2 spicy Italian sausages
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) fresh basil, chopped
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) fresh oregano
- 1 egg, beaten
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) spicy Italian breadcrumbs
- A few drops of Tabasco sauce
- Tomato sauce (see “Eggplant parmigiana” recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
- In a skillet, heat the oil over low heat and sweat the vegetables. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beef, veal and sausage meat.
- Add the vegetables, seasonings, egg, breadcrumbs and Tabasco sauce. Stir well.
- Shape 2 medium loaves or 6 smaller ones.
- Wrap the loaves with aluminum foil, shiny side facing in.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice and top with tomato sauce before serving.
Meat loaves are easily frozen. And you may use some leftover meat loaf in a sandwich with mustard, cheese and lettuce, in a toasted panini or even sliced and reheated in the oven with tomato sauce - it's quick and tasty.