- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) flour, sifted
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 90 ml (1/3 cup) butter
- 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
- 1 egg
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp.) vanilla extract
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk + 60 ml (1/4 cup) if need be
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) flour
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) brown sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Grease a square aluminum or ceramic 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, whisk together the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla.
- Whisk until batter is creamy and smooth.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk, without over mixing.
- Set aside.
- Place the butter and flour in a pan set over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar, stirring to combine.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Pour the syrup into the square baking dish.
- Using a spoon, carefully pour the cake batter over the syrup.
- Bake in the oven 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool 15 minutes prior to serving.