The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled.
General Tao chicken
15 to 20 minutes
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 90 ml (6 tbsp) soy sauce
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) water
- 90 ml (6 tbsp) sugar
- 4 large pieces of orange peel
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) crushed chili pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) oyster sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) ketchup
- 20 ml (4 tsp) cornstarch
- 500 g (1 lb) chicken breasts, skinless, cut into 2.5 cm (1 in.) dice
- 250 ml (1 cup) extra crusty tempura mix
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) ice-cold water
- Ice cubes
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sesame seeds, toasted
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) green onion, sliced
- In a saucepan, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the slices of garlic and ginger. Brown for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, water, sugar, orange peel and crushed chili. Stir.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the oyster sauce and ketchup. Stir.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a bit of lukewarm water.
- When the sauce starts boiling again, gradually add the cornstarch mixing constantly until obtaining a desirable consistency.
- Pass the sauce through a sieve. Set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat the fryer to 180°C (350°F) and the oven to 80°C (180°F)
- In a small bowl, combine the tempura mix and cold water.
- With a whisk, beat the mix until even.
- Place a small bowl in a large bowl filled with ice cubes (to keep the paste cold).
- Dip the diced chicken in the paste, one piece at a time, and then into the hot oil.
- Do not fry more than 5 to 6 pieces at a time to avoid their sticking together.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, flipping the pieces once, until the chicken is cooked through and browned.
- Place the cooked chicken pieces on a baking sheet covered with paper towel and keep warm in the oven.
- Repeat the procedure until all the chicken meat is cooked.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken pieces and hot sauce.
- Stir well to coat all the pieces with sauce.
- Place the chicken on plates.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion.
- Serve immediately with jasmine rice or basmati rice.