Smoked-herring Smørrebrød with beet and lime
- 4 thick slices sourdough (or rye) bread, toasted
- 1 clove garlic
- 112 g (1/4 lb) smoked herring,* or about 2 fillets, cut into pieces
- 1 raw red beet, peeled and grated
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) finely diced fresh coriander
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) ricotta
- 1 lime, cut into quarters (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
* The smoked herring can be replaced with smoked mackerel, which is delicious and easily found in grocery stores.
- In a bowl, combine the beet, lime juice and zest, coriander and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Rub the bread slices with the garlic clove and spread each slice with ricotta.
- Divide the beet topping among the bread slices and garnish with the smoked herring. If desired, serve accompanied by lime quarters.
Variation: Northern-shrimp Smørrebrød:
Mix together 225 grams northern shrimp, 30 ml Greek yogourt, the zest of 1/2 lemon, 30 ml minced chives and 15 ml chopped dill. Divide this topping among bread slices and, if desired, serve accompanied by lemon wedges.