- 75 ml (1/4 cup + 1 tbsp) butter
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) clam juice
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 vol-au-vent shells or puff pastry dough
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 225 g (1/2 lb) mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) French shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) mild paprika
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) cognac or brandy
- 250 ml (1 cup) white wine
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) 35% cooking cream
- 12 raw shrimp, 16/20, peeled and deveined
- 12 scallops, 15/25
- 180 g (6 oz) calamari, in rings
- In a saucepan, melt 50 ml (1/4 cup) of butter over medium heat.
- Gradually stir in the flour to make a roux.
- Cook for 1 minute and remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In another saucepan, heat the clam juice and water over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, add the roux.
- Using a whisk, stir to thicken the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the sauce through a sieve over a bowl.
- Wash the saucepan, pour in the strained sauce and heat it up over low heat until barely simmering.
- In a bowl, beat the egg and a little water with a fork.
- You may use regular vol-au-vent shells or puff pastry dough to make your own vol-au-vent shells with a cookie cutter.
- Brush the vol-au-vent shells with the egg wash.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat the oil and the remaining butter over medium-high heat.
- Cook the mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the shallot, garlic and paprika.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Flambé with cognac or brandy.
- Add the wine and reduce by three-quarters.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the simmering sauce.
- Stir in the tomato paste and the cream.
- Gently stir in the shrimp, scallops and calamari.
- Cook gently for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place the vol-au-vent shells on plates and top with the seafood mixture.
- Serve hot.