Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
300 g (10 oz.) salt cod (preferable) or fresh cod
3 green onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
30 ml (2 tbsp.) parsley, chopped, plus a few sprigs
Ground black pepper
310 ml (1 1/4 cups) flour
10 ml (2 tsp.) baking powder
Salt, to taste
75 ml (5 tbsp.) milk (or more)
1 or 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Soak the cod in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water 3 or 4 times to remove the salt.
- Poach the cod in a little bit of lemon water for 5 minutes.
- Chop the poached cod very finely (using a chopper or food processor).
- In a large bowl, mix the cod, green onions, garlic, cayenne pepper, chopped parsley and the pepper.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a third bowl, beat the eggs.
- Stir in the milk alternately with the dry ingredients; the mixture should be quite thick (add milk if needed).
- Add the cod mixture; stir with a wooden spoon so that all the ingredients are well combined.
- Let rest for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oil to 190°C (375°F).
- With two tablespoons, shape the mixture into egg-shaped balls (fritters).
- Drop into oil and fry until nicely browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve the fritters with your favourite sauce, and garnish with the lemon wedges and parsley sprigs.
Before deep-frying, refrigerate the mixture; shaping firm egg-shaped balls will then be easier.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.