Chili con carne
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
30 ml (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
625 g (1 1/4 lb.) ground beef
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, thinly sliced
1/2 green pepper, cut into cubes
1/2 red pepper, cut into cubes
7 ml (1 1/2 tsp.) ground cumin
7 ml (1 1/2 tsp.) chili powder
7 ml (1 1/2 tsp.) ground coriander
1 1/2 cans, 796 ml (28 oz.), diced tomatoes (with the juice)
1 can, 213 ml (7 1/2 oz.), tomato sauce
45 ml (3 tbsp.) tomato paste
1 can, 540 ml (19 oz.), kidney beans, rinsed and drained
15 ml (1 tbsp.) sugar
Salt and ground black pepper
80 ml (1/3 cup) sour cream
45 ml (3 tbsp.) fresh coriander, chopped
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat and brown the meat, garlic, onion, celery and peppers for 2 minutes.
- Add the three spices and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, the tomato sauce and the tomato paste, and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the beans and sugar. Mix well and season.
- Continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Drop a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with coriander.
- Serve with corn chips
For chili with a kick, add some hot pepper flakes with the other spices.
VARIANT: To obtain a different texture, use beef cubes instead of ground beef.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.