Parmentier hash with veal and caramelized onions
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
1.25 L (5 cups) potatoes, peeled and diced
30 ml (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
625 g (1 1/4 lb.) ground veal
2 garlic cloves, chopped
10 ml (2 tsp.) dried basil
Salt and ground black pepper
3 medium-sized onions, thinly sliced
5 ml (1 tsp.) sugar
45 ml (3 tbsp.) butter
10 ml (2 tsp.) garlic powder
125 ml (1/2 cup) milk
2 ml (1/2 tsp.) celery salt
2 ml (1/2 tsp.) dried mustard
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Add a bit of salt and bring to a boil.
- Cook until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat and sauté the veal, garlic and basil until fully cooked. Season.
- Transfer the meat into a square oven-safe dish.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil and cook the onion over medium heat until golden.
- Add the sugar and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Spread the onion preparation over the meat mixture.
- Purée the potatoes with the butter, garlic powder, milk, celery salt and mustard. Season.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the onion mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite seasonal vegetables.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.