Bison steak with apple cider
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
45 ml (3 tbsp.) French shallot, thinly sliced
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) apple cider
60 ml (1/4 cup) veal stock
125 ml (1/2 cup) 35% cooking cream
30 ml (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
4 bison strip loin steaks, about 200 g (7 oz.) each
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a saucepan, mix together the French shallot and the cider.
- Cook over medium heat by simmering (not boiling) the cider for about 25 minutes or until it has reduced by one third.
- Preheat the oven to 80°C (180°F).
- Add the veal stock and cream to the reduced cider sauce.
- Simmer for about 20 more minutes, stirring from time to time until the desired consistency is obtained.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper.
- When the butter foams, cook the steaks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side for rare doneness (or a few more minutes if desired).
- Set the meat aside on 4 plates and keep warm for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with whipped potatoes and grilled asparagus.
- Top generously with the reserved warm sauce.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.