2 1/2 to 3 hours
6 to 8
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
1.5 kg (3 lb.) beef blade roast in 4 cm (1 1/2 in.) cubes
60 g (2 oz.) butter
45 ml (3 tbsp.) vegetable oil
250 ml (1 cup) all-purpose flour
250 ml (1 cup) demi-glace
Salt and ground black pepper
300 g (10 oz.) pearl onions, blanched and peeled
200 g (7 oz.) smoked bacon, diced
225 g (8 oz.) white mushrooms, cut in quarters
750 ml (3 cups) red wine
150 g (5 oz) carrots, diced
150 g (5 oz) celery, diced
275 g (9 oz) or 3 medium onions, diced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
6 sprigs of fresh thyme or 5 ml (1 tsp.) dried thyme
2 large bay leaves
10 ml (2 tsp.) black peppercorns
- Cut the beef into cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Add the wine and the rest of the marinade ingredients. Mix together.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours, stirring 3 to 4 times during that time.
- Remove the beef cubes, making sure no residue from the marinade remains on the meat.
- Drain well. Set aside.
- Strain the marinade, keeping the liquid that will be used in cooking and eventually in the sauce.
- Discard the rest of the marinade ingredients.
- In a skillet, heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat.
- Flour the beef cubes and brown them a few at a time, adding a bit of oil if needed.
- Once the cubes are brown, transfer them to a large pot.
- Add the marinade liquid and the demi-glace to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper and start cooking, covered, over medium heat.
- As soon as it starts boiling, adjust the heat so that the stew simmers slowly.
- Cook for about 2 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling water, blanch the pearl onions for 2 minutes.
- Strain. Peel the onions. Set them aside.
- In a skillet, fry the diced bacon over medium heat. No need to add any more fat as the fat from the bacon will suffice.
- Set the browned bacon aside in a bowl, reserving the fat.
- In the same skillet, over high heat, sauté the mushrooms and small onions in the bacon fat until they are nicely browned.
- Pat dry the mushrooms, onions and diced bacon and set aside.
- About 1/2 hour before the end of the cooking, add the mushroom, onion and bacon mixture and continue cooking.
- Serve with tagliatelle (a pasta) or rice pilaf.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.