8 to 10 servings
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
2 kg (4 1/2 lb) cubes of beef
45 mL (3 tbsp) oil
1 yellow onion, cut into petals
2 carrots, sliced
30 mL (2 tbsp) butter
45 mL (3 tbsp) flour
500 mL (2 cups) red wine
500 mL (2 cups) beef bouillon
1 bouquet (thyme, bay leaf, sage, parsley, garlic)
50 g (1 ¾ oz) dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large casserole over high heat, brown the beef in oil in two batches, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same casserole, sauté the vegetables in the butter, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, stir and continue cooking, 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Deglaze with the wine and let evaporate, 5 minutes. Return the beef and vegetables to the casserole. Pour in the bouillon, and then add the bouquet garni and the mushrooms.
- Bake on the middle rack, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Pull out the bouquet garni. Serve with egg noodles tossed in a bit of butter and parsley.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.