Beef braised in tomatoes and red wine
3 h 30 minutes
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
15 ml (1 tbsp.) vegetable oil
1 beef shoulder roast, approx. 900 g (1 3/4 lb.)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, cut into big cubes
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
250 ml (1 cup) red wine
1 can 541 ml (19 oz.) diced tomatoes
250 ml (1 cup) beef broth
1 stick of celery, cut into large pieces
4 medium-sized carrots, peeled and sliced
4 medium-sized parsnips, peeled and sliced
80 ml (1/3 cup) fresh parsley, chopped
Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large pan, heat the butter and oil over maximum heat.
- Add the meat and sear well on all sides.
- Transfer to a large ovenproof dish. Season.
- In the same pan, sweat the onion and garlic for 1 minute. Spread over the meat.
- While the pan is still hot, deglaze with the wine.
- Boil for 1 minute and pour over the meat.
- Add the tomatoes and beef broth to the ovenproof dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- After an hour and a half, add the celery, carrots and parsnips.
- Cover and cook for a further 1 1/2 hours.
- Upon removal from oven, sprinkle over the parsley and lemon zest, and serve.
This dish is perfect for cooking in a slow cooker. Check the instructions on your cooker as cooking times may vary between models.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.