Beef with mushroom sauce
1 h 45
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
60 ml (4 tbsp.) butter
60 ml (1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
30 ml (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
600 g (1 1/4 lb.) diced stewing beef
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
500 ml (2 cups) large mushrooms, cut into quarters
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
15 ml (1 tbsp.) garlic, minced
250 ml (1 cup) white wine
600 ml (2 1/2 cups) veal stock
A few sprigs of fresh thyme or 5 ml (1 tsp.) dried thyme
1 large bay leaf
125 ml (1/2 cup) 35% cooking cream
30 ml (2 tbsp.) parsley, chopped
- Melt half of the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour slowly to make a roux. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat half of the oil with 15 ml (1 tbsp.) of butter over high heat.
- Sear the diced beef. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the mushrooms. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in an enamelled cast-iron pot, heat the rest of the butter and oil over medium-high heat.
- Sweat the onions for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the white wine and reduce to 3/4.
- Add the veal stock, thyme and bay leaf.
- Add the meat and cover.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove from the heat. With a baster, take almost all of the cooking liquid and transfer it into another saucepan.
- Bring the liquid to a boil over medium heat.
- Thicken the sauce by adding the roux gradually while whisking it in. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Pass the sauce through a fine sieve above the pot and put it back on the heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cream.
- Continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of rice or buttered noodles and garnish with chopped parsley.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.