Fried calamari with lemon-herb sauce
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
250 ml (1 cup) blonde beer
1 egg, beaten
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) flour
10 ml (2 tsp.) cornstarch
5 ml (1 tsp.) coriander seeds, well ground
Salt and freshly ground pepper
500 g (1 lb.) fresh calamari, cleaned and cut into 2 cm (3/4 in.) rings
180 ml (3/4 cup) mayonnaise
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
30 ml (2 tbsp.) chives, finely chopped
5 ml (1 tsp.) fresh or dried mint, chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp.) parsley, chopped
15 ml (1 tbsp.) capers, drained and chopped
Freshly ground pepper
- In a bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients and refrigerate.
- In a deep fryer, preheat the oil to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large bowl, mix the beer, egg, 250 ml (1 cup) of flour, cornstarch and coriander until the mixture is smooth and the same texture as crepe batter. Season and set aside.
- Dry the calamari thoroughly with paper towel.
- Coat with the remaining flour.
- Coat a few calamari at a time with the beer batter from the third step and fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove any excess oil and repeat with the remaining calamari.
- Serve immediately with the lemon-herb sauce.
You can substitute fresh calamari with quality frozen ones. Follow the cooking instructions thoroughly. It is important to exercise caution when deep-drying.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.