French Rack of Venison
40 minutes + 10 minutes resting
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
1 French rack of Cerf de Boileau venison, about 2 kg (4.4 lb)
2 bunches radish, leaves on
500 mL (2 cups) Japanese turnips, cut to the same size as the radishes
60 mL (1/4 cup) game or veal bouillon
4 bay leaves
2 X 30 mL (4 tbsp) butter
15 mL (1 tbsp) peppercorns
10 mL (2 tsp) kosher salt
30 mL (2 tbsp) allspice seeds
30 mL (2 tbsp) olive oil
500 mL (2 cups) demi-glace
250 g (9 oz) steamed chestnuts*
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 215°C (425°F).
- In a Dutch oven, combine the radishes, turnips, bouillon, bay leaves and 30 mL (2 tbsp) of the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Cover.
- Grind together the peppercorns, kosher salt and allspice seeds.
- Rub this mixture into all sides of the meat.
- In an ovenproof skillet, brown the meat in the olive oil on all sides for a total of about 15 minutes.
- Put both the skillet and the Dutch oven with the radish mixture in the oven, and cook for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring the demi-glace to a boil, lower heat and whisk in 30 mL (2 tbsp) butter.
- Add the chestnuts and set aside, keeping hot.
- Remove the radish mixture and the meat from the oven.
- Cover the meat with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve each rib with some of the braised vegetables and drizzled with the chestnut sauce.
NOTE *Aurora-brand chestnuts are widely available in supermarkets.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.