Cassoulet (lamb and duck)
2 h 20
4 to 6
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
875 ml (3 1/3 cups) white kidney beans
450 g (1 lb.) lamb, cubed
4 thick slices of bacon, minced
4 Toulouse sausages, cut in half
1 pork shank, cut in half
4 small confit duck drumsticks
2 onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 celery stalks, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 laurel leaf
1 pinch dried thyme
Water or chicken stock in sufficient quantities
30 ml (2 tbsp.) tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, cover the beans in cold water, then bring to a boil.
- Let simmer 10 minutes, then remove from heat. Let bean and water mixture cool.
- Strain and set aside.
- In a pot with a thick bottom, brown the cubes of lamb with the bacon and sausage over high heat. Set aside.
- In the same pot, brown pork over high heat.
- Add lamb, bacon, sausages, beans, vegetables, laurel and thyme.
- Blend tomato paste in water, and use to cover the combined ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer over low heat for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the beans are extremely tender.
- After 1 hour of cooking, add confit duck drumsticks.
- Remove pork shank, debone and trim fat. Discard the bone, skin and fat. Put meat back into the pot.
- Season to taste and serve immediately.
If you prefer, you can use canned white beans. Simply add 4 cans to the other ingredients when 30-45 of cook time remain. It is not necessary to boil canned beans first. Just be sure to rinse them well.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.