Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
250 ml (1 cup) water
80 ml (1/3 cup) butter
300 ml (1 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
300 ml (1 1/4 cups) old white cheddar, finely shredded
425 ml (1 3/4 cups) old yellow cheddar, finely shredded
7 ml (1 1/2 tsp.) smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a saucepan, bring the water, butter and salt to a boil over medium-high heat.
- As soon as it starts boiling, remove from the heat.
- Add the flour at once.
- With a wooden spatula, beat the mix rigorously until it turns into a ball.
- Cook over low heat, stirring continuously for 1 to 2 minutes to dry the dough. (It must detach from the sides of the saucepan).
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating the first egg until well incorporated before adding the second one.
- Add the white cheddar, stirring vigorously add 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) of yellow cheddar (set the rest aside) and beat well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a pastry bag with a plain tip, make small balls of dough on the baking sheet.
- Leave a little space between each ball as they puff up during the baking.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave the door half-open. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove the chouquettes and sprinkle with the rest of the yellow cheddar.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with smoked paprika.
- Serve hot or warm as an aperitif.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.