Coq au vin
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
1 chicken, about 1.4 kg (3 lb.), cut into 8 pieces
500 ml (2 cups) red wine
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into rounds
1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in 4
2 bay leaves
5 ml (1 tsp.) dried thyme
A few black peppercorns
30 ml (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
75 ml (5 tbsp.) butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
500 ml (2 cups) veal stock
90 ml (6 tbsp.) flour
500 ml (2 cups) mushrooms, cut into quarters
180 g (6 oz.) smoked bacon, diced
16 small pearl onions, blanched
15 ml (1 tbsp.) Italian parsley, chopped
- In an enamelled cast-iron pot with lid, place the chicken and add the wine, onions, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and peppercorns.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade.
- Strain the marinade through a sieve, reserving the wine.
- In a skillet, heat 15 ml (1 tbsp.) of oil and 15 ml (1 tbsp.) of butter.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Sear on all sides and return to the pot.
- Add the wine and veal stock.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 30 ml (2 tbsp.) of butter.
- Add the flour, stirring constantly to make a roux. Set aside.
- In the skillet, heat the remaining butter and oil.
- Cook the mushrooms, diced bacon and pearl onions. Set aside.
- After 30 minutes of cooking, thicken the sauce with the roux and add the mushroom mixture.
- Cook for another 30 minutes.
- Serve in soup plates on a bed of buttered noodles.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.