Beef and pork empanadas
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
15 ml (1 tbsp.) vegetable oil
225 g (1/2 lb.) beef, chopped
225 g (1/2 lb.) pork, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 red pepper, diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 ml (1/2 tsp.) ground cumin
30 ml (2 tbsp.) fresh cilantro, chopped
22 ml (1 1/2 tbsp.) tomato paste
60 ml (1/4 cup) sliced black olives
1 package store-bought pie dough
2 eggs, hard-boiled
1 egg, beaten
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on high and fry meat, oregano, garlic and red pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cumin.
- Cook meat thoroughly.
- Add cilantro, tomato paste and olives. Mix and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Meanwhile, roll out the dough, following the instructions on the package.
- Cut into circles measuring 10 cm (4 in.) in diameter.
- Slice the hard-boiled eggs.
- Place a spoonful of meat on one half of each circle of dough.
- Top with one or two slices of egg.
- Brush the edge of each circle with beaten egg. Fold circles in half and press edges together firmly.
- Brush the top of each empanada with beaten egg and place on baking sheet.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes or until the top of each empanada is golden.
- Serve hot or warm.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.