Basque-style egg casserole with baguette sticks
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive oil
2 medium onions, minced
2 red peppers, cut in thin strips
10 ml (2 tsp.) garlic, chopped
400 ml (1 2/3 cups) tomatoes, diced
5 ml (1 tsp.) dried thyme or 1 sprig of fresh thyme
5 ml (1 tsp.) Espelette pepper
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat and cook the onions and peppers for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Turn down the heat.
- Add the tomatoes to the vegetable mixture and stir.
- Add the thyme, Espelette pepper and salt.
- Simmer gently for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven on broil, leaving the oven door partially open.
- Meanwhile, cut the 1/2 baguette in half lengthwise, then cut each half in 4 lengthwise to make sticks.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler. Set aside.
- Divide the pepper and tomato mixture between 4 small individual casseroles.
- Firmly pack with a spoon.
- Break an egg into each casserole, making sure not to pierce the yolk.
- Place the casseroles into a bain-marie.
- Cook in the oven on broil for 8 to 10 minutes, until the whites firm up and the yolks remain liquid.
- Serve immediately with toasted baguette sticks.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.