Osso buco with star anise
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
8 slices veal shank, each 2 1/2 cm (1 in.) thick
30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive oil
15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
1 large onion, chopped
3 carrots, thinly sliced
3 celery sticks, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) beef bouillon
1 796-mL (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
250 ml (1 cup) Sicilian red wine
15 ml (1 tbsp.) fresh oregano, chopped
2 star anise
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, brown the veal slices on high in the oil and butter.
- Remove veal from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and sweat the onion, carrots and celery for three to five minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Stir in the bouillon, tomatoes and wine and bring to a simmer.
- Add the oregano and star anise.
- Return the meat slices to the saucepan.
- Simmer on low until the meat is tender, about 45 minutes to one hour. Season to taste.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.