Pastel de choclo (Chilean beef and corn casserole)
4 to 5
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
400 g (14 oz.) ground beef
30 ml (2 tbsp.) cumin seeds, toasted
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp.) dried chili pepper
15 ml (1 tbsp.) dried basil, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
30 ml (2 tbsp.) oil
15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 skinless chicken breasts, diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 hard-boiled eggs (cooked for 10 to 12 minutes), sliced
80 ml (1/3 cup) raisins
80 ml (1/3 cup) black olives, sliced
250 ml (1 cup) milk
3 cans, 341 ml (12 oz.) each, corn or 8 large corn cobs, kernels cut from the cob
20 ml (4 tsp.) cornstarch
1 egg, beaten
- Mix the ground beef with the spices, basil and garlic.
- Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour for flavours to develop.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and butter. Brown lightly.
- Add the onion and cook until golden brown.
- Add the ground beef and the chicken.
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the meat mixture in an oven-safe dish.
- Cover with slices of eggs, raisins and olives.
- In a saucepan, pour the milk and add the corn. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a bit of cold milk and add it to thicken the corn mixture.
- Transfer this mixture to a food processor or blender and process for a few seconds (do not liquefy too much; a few corn lumps should remain).
- Add the egg and blend well.
- Pour onto the meat mixture.
- Cook in the oven at 190°C (375°F) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.