Bison stew and autumn vegetables
1 h 45
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
30 ml (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
60 ml (1/4 cup) butter
600 g (1 1/4 lb.) bison cubes (from a blade roast)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
45 ml (3 tbsp.) flour
500 ml (2 cups) red wine
500 ml (2 cups) veal stock
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp.) dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 small turnip, peeled and cut into 3.5 cm (1 1/2 in.) dice
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
4 medium yellow-fleshed potatoes, cut into 3.5 cm (1 1/2 in.) dice
15 ml (1 tbsp.) tomato paste
30 ml (2 tbsp.) fresh tarragon, leaves only, chopped
15 ml (1 tbsp.) fresh parsley, chopped
- In a pan, heat the oil and 15 ml (1 tbsp.) of butter over medium-high heat.
- Season the bison cubes with salt and pepper.
- Sear on all sides to colour. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, melt 45 ml (3 tbsp.) butter over medium heat.
- Sweat the onions for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the red wine and veal stock.
- Using a whisk, mix to dissolve the flour.
- Add the thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Return the bison cubes to the pot.
- Cover and simmer for about 1 minute.
- Add the turnip and carrots first.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and tarragon.
- Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve the stew garnished with chopped parsley.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.