Beef blade roast, bourguignon-style
4 to 6
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
250 ml (1 cup) bacon, minced
500 ml (2 cups) pearl onions
1 kg (2 lb.) beef blade roast
4 garlic cloves, chopped
125 ml (1/2 cup) red wine
310 ml (1 1/4 cups) demi-glace
Freshly ground black pepper
APPLE AND ROSEMARY GREMOLATA
1 apple, finely diced
7 ml (1/2 tbsp.) cider vinegar
7 ml (1/2 tbsp.) olive oil
60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh parsley, chopped
15 ml (1 tbsp.) fresh rosemary, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F).
- In an oven-safe saucepan, melt the butter over high heat and brown the bacon and pearl onions.
- Set aside on a plate.
- In the same saucepan, sear the beef for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Add the garlic.
- Deglaze with red wine and add the demi-glace.
- Season with pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Add the bacon and pearl onions to the saucepan 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix together all the gremolata ingredients. Set aside.
- Remove the beef from the sauce. Let cool.
- Debone and pull the meat apart.
- Discard the excess fat.
- Place the pulled beef back in the sauce.
- Serve on top of mashed potatoes garnished with pearl onions and bacon, and sprinkled with apple and rosemary gremolata.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.