Mini cheese soufflés
20 to 25 minutes
25 to 30 minutes
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
30 ml (2 tbsp.) butter
60 ml (1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
250 ml (1 cup) whole milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch of nutmeg
3 egg yolks, large size
375 ml (1 1/2 cup) Emmenthal, grated
4 egg whites, large size
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. With a whisk, gradually stir in the flour to make a roux.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring continuously until the roux whitens.
- Add the cold milk and continue cooking, stirring frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the nutmeg. Cook until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Remove from the heat. (The béchamel must be very thick for a successful soufflé.)
- Quickly add the egg yolks, one at a time, stirring between each addition.
- Add the cheese and stir well.
- Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Butter and flour the mini-casseroles.
- Once done, it is important not to touch the inside of the mini-casseroles as it could compromise the success of your recipe.
- In a large bowl, add the egg whites and a pinch of salt. With a whisk, beat until they form stiff peaks.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the bowl containing the béchamel. Gently fold this mixture into the bowl containing the rest of the egg whites.
- Fill each mini-casserole 3/4 full with the mixture. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the soufflés from the oven.
- Serve immediately.
- Important: Do not open the oven door before the end of the baking time (any decrease in temperature could ruin the soufflés).
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.