20 to 25 minutes
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
45 ml (3 tbsp.) butter
80 ml (1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
250 ml (1 cup) milk
1 pinch grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large eggs
100 g (3 1/2 oz.) shredded Gruyère
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
- In a saucepan, melt 30 ml (2 tbsp.) of butter over medium heat.
- Add 50 ml (3 1/2 tbsp.) of flour.
- Cook while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 2 to 3 minutes or until the roux whitens.
- With a whisk, add the cold milk and cook while stirring frequently. Season.
- Cook until the sauce boils and thickens.
Note: This béchamel must be thick, and it is important that it remain that way for the soufflé to be a success.
- Remove from the heat.
- Off the heat, quickly add 3 egg yolks*, one at a time, stirring well (be sure to reserve the whites).
- Add the Gruyère and stir well. Place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Line 2 soufflé moulds, 12 cm (4 3/4 in.) wide by 10 cm (4 in.) high, with the rest of the butter and flour.
Note: Once this operation is done, it is important not to touch the inside of the moulds as it would compromise the success of your recipe.
- In a large bowl, place 4 egg whites. Add a pinch of salt.
- With a whisk, whip the whites until stiff and firm.
- In another bowl, using a spatula gently fold 1/3 of the whites into the béchamel.
- Fold the rest of the egg whites into this mixture, and stir gently.
- Place the preparation in the moulds, filling up to 3/4 of each mould.
- Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Note: It is essential not to open the oven door before the end of the cooking time: any temperature decrease may spoil all your work!
*The fourth egg yolk may be reserved for another recipe or discarded.
It is essential not to open the oven door before the end of the cooking time: any temperature decrease may spoil all your work!
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.