Cheese and beer soup in bread bowls
Please create an account and sign in to add recipes to your favourites.
4 round buns
60 ml (1/4 cup) butter
250 ml (1 cup) onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, diced
60 ml (1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
1 L (4 cups) chicken broth
1 bottle, 341 ml (11 1/2 oz.), blonde beer
1 ml (1/2 tsp.) ground nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices of bacon
60 ml (1/4 cup) 15% cooking cream
125 ml (1/2 cup) aged cheddar, grated
125 ml (1/2 cup) Migneron cheese, grated
15 ml (1 tbsp.) chives, finely chopped
- With a bread knife, remove a 2 to 3 cm (1 in.) piece from the top of the buns.
- Scoop out the bread, leaving a 2 cm (3/4 in.) thick layer.
- Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery.
- Sweat for about 5 minutes without browning.
- Add the flour and cook for another minute, stirring continuously.
- Gradually add the chicken broth while whisking to avoid lumps.
- Add the beer and nutmeg.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a skillet, brown the bacon until crispy.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Once cooled, crumble the bacon.
- Set aside.
- Place the soup in a blender.
- Purée in pulse mode and then at regular speed until well combined.
- Place the soup back in the saucepan.
- Add the cream and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gradually add the cheeses while stirring.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Pour the soup into the bread bowls.
- Garnish with the bacon and chives.
- Serve immediately.
*SAQ.com reduced prices and SAQ Inspire points do not apply at SAQ Dépôt outlets, unless stated otherwise.