Steamed artichokes with lemon sauce
- 4 medium-sized artichokes
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) mayonnaise
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) crème fraîche
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon, grated
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) French shallots, thinly sliced
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) fresh chives, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the stems off the artichokes and remove the outer hard leaves.
- Rub the base with half a lemon to prevent oxidizing.
- Cut the tip off the artichokes and rub with the lemon.
- In the colander section of a large steamer pot filled halfway with water, cook the artichokes head down for 25 to 30 minutes, depending on their size.
- The artichoke is cooked when a knife can be easily inserted in the base.
- Meanwhile, mix together all the other ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir and set aside.
- Once the artichokes are cooked, let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Serve as an appetizer with the lemon sauce.