Fearsome fish sticks
1 kg (2 1/4 lb) salmon fillet, cut from the thickest part of the fish, skin removed
500 ml (2 cups) green cabbage, thinly sliced
500 ml (2 cups) arugula
1 carrot, grated
125 ml (1/2 cup) homemade or store-bought tartar sauce
250 ml (1 cup) flour
2 eggs, beaten
250 ml (1 cup) bread crumbs
125 ml (1/2 cup) grated Parmesan
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F) and line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, arugula, carrot and tartar sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish.
- Place the beaten eggs in a second shallow dish.
- In a third dish, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan, then season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the fish against the grain into 12 pieces, about 1.25 cm (1/2 in) thick.
- Dip each strip in the flour, then the egg and finally the bread crumbs.
- Place on the baking sheet, spaced at least 2 cm (3/4 in) apart.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake for five minutes.
- Flip the fish sticks and bake five more minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with cabbage salad and lemon wedges.