Blinis with smoked salmon
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) whole wheat flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 10 ml (2 tsp) yeast (preferable) or baking powder
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) lukewarm milk
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) sugar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- Sour cream
- 250 to 300 g (8 to 10 oz) smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder, if using this ingredient instead of the yeast.
- Pour the milk into another bowl.
- Add the sugar and yeast (if using). Let yeast bloom.
- Add to the flour mixture.
- Add the oil and whole egg. Mix together well.
- Beat the egg white until stiff, then add it to the mixture. Set aside.
- Lightly oil a skillet and heat to medium-high heat.
- Pour 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the mixture into the skillet to make small pancakes (blinis).
- Brown each side. Set aside.
- Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Garnish the blinis with sour cream.
- Add a rolled strip of smoked salmon and garnish with a few capers before serving.
Use real yeast if possible. Your blinis will be tastier with a more interesting texture.