Lamb burgers with strong cheddar, chipotle sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) mayonnaise
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chipotle (in adobo sauce), coarsely chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) steak spices
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 600 g (1 1/4 lb) ground lean lamb
- 5 or 6 leaves of fresh mint, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) garlic powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) onion powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) Espelette pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices of old cheddar
- 4 kaiser rolls
- A few leaves of frisée lettuce
- 1 red tomato, cut into 5 mm (1/4 in.) slices
- In a bowl, mix together all the sauce ingredients. Stir.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the barbecue to 290°C (550°F) or to maximum heat
- In a large salad bowl, mix together the ground lamb, mint and spices.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir with your hands until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Shape 4 patties.
- Cover and grill for about 5 minutes on each side until well done.
- Turn off the barbecue and place the cheese slices on the patties.
- Close the lid and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- You may heat the rolls at the same time.
- Spread a generous amount of chipotle sauce on the inside of the rolls.
- Place some lettuce leaves on the lower half of the rolls.
- Add the slices of tomato.
- Place the patties on the garnished rolls.
- Close the rolls.
- Serve with a couscous salad.