Tropical chicken burgers with avocado, peach and mango salsa
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) peach, peeled, pitted and cut into 1 cm (3/8 in.) dice
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) mango, peeled and cut into 1 cm (3/8 in.) dice
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh coriander, chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) lime juice
- 5 ml (1 tsp) nuoc mam (fish sauce)
- 600 g (1 1/4 lb) extra lean ground chicken
- 10 (2 tsp) garlic, minced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) ginger, finely chopped
- 4 or 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sesame buns
- A few leaves of frisée lettuce
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- In a bowl, mix together all the salsa ingredients. Stir gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour, so all the flavours meld well.
- Preheat the barbecue to 290°C (550°F) or to maximum heat.
- In another bowl, mix together all the patty ingredients.
- Stir well.
- Shape 4 patties. (Moisten your hands with a bit of cold first - this will prevent the meat from sticking.)
- Grill the patties, covered for 6 to 7 minutes on each side until well done.
- During the last minute of the cooking, grill the buns for 30 seconds on each side.
- Place the lettuce leaves on the lower bun.
- Add the avocado slices and then the patties. Garnish with salsa and close the burgers.
- Serve with a platter of mixed raw vegetables.