Salmon-trout burgers with lemon mayonnaise and capers
- 500 g (1 lb) salmon-trout flesh, chopped with a knife, tartare-style
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) sour cream
- 2 egg whites
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) breadcrumbs
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 2 pita breads, cut in half
- 500 ml (2 cups) Boston lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 250 ml (1 cup) tomato flesh, cut into 1 cm (3/8 in.) dice
- 250 ml (1 cup) English cucumber, cut into 1 cm (3/8 in.) dice
- 250 ml (1 cup) real mayonnaise
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) capers, coarsely chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) Espelette pepper
- In a bowl, mix together the mayonnaise ingredients.
- Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In another bowl, mix together the trout flesh, sour cream, egg whites, breadcrumbs, dill, salt and pepper.
- Stir well to combine evenly.
- Shape into 4 patties, pressing well.
- In a skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium heat.
- Cook the trout patties for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Using a spatula, flip the patties gently.
- Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Open the pita halves and insert a patty in each one.
- Spread the top of each patty with a generous amount of mayonnaise.
- Flip the pita bread and spread mayonnaise on the other side of the patty.
- Garnish with lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Serve with raw vegetables.