Halloumi cheese veggie burgers
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sundried-tomato pesto
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh basil, finely chopped
- Ground black pepper
- 200 g (7 oz) extra-firm tofu, sliced 1 cm (1/2 in.) thick
- 4 portobellos, sliced 5 mm (1/4 in.) thick
- 1 large red or yellow pepper, quartered
- 200 g (7 oz) Halloumi cheese, sliced 1 cm (1/2 in.) thick
- 4 burger buns
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Preheat the barbecue to medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, mix the pesto, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and basil.
- Season generously with pepper.
- Add the tofu slices, portobellos and pepper pieces.
- Toss to coat well with the pesto mixture.
- Cook the portobellos and peppers on the barbecue for 7 to 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, grill the tofu and cheese.
- Heat the burger buns on the barbecue.
- Top each bun with the lettuce, tofu, portobello, pepper and cheese.
- Serve with raw vegetables and chips.
Note: This recipe can as easily be prepared by cooking the various ingredients in a pan rather than on the barbecue.