Lamb burgers with hummus, tomato, cucumber and yogurt (Kofta)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Greek yogurt, plain
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) tomatoes, cut into 1 cm (3/8 in.) dice
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 cm (3/8 in.) dice
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh dill, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chives, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 600 g (1 1/4 lb) ground lamb
- 5 or 6 leaves of fresh mint, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) garlic powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) onion powder
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) ground coriander
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) Espelette pepper or 1 pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 onion buns or poppy seed kaiser rolls
- 250 ml (1 cup) roasted red pepper hummus
- Combine all the topping ingredients in a bowl.
- Toss gently and refrigerate.
- Preheat the barbecue to maximum heat or at least to 260°C (500°F).
- In another bowl, combine the lamb with the mint and seasonings. Mix well.
- Shape into 4 patties.
- Grill the patties for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until the meat is cooked through.
- Toast the buns lightly.
- Assemble the burgers, spreading some hummus onto each half of the buns.
- Add some topping and close the burgers.
- Serve with a couscous salad.