- 450 g (1 lb) lean ground veal
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) bread crumbs
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Italian parsley, chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh sage, chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh mint, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) mayonnaise
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) pesto
- 2 Italian tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices of mozzarina di bufala (fresh mozzarella), about 2 cm (3/4 in.) thick
- 4 kaiser rolls
- 250 ml (1 cup) arugula
- 8 large leaves of basil
- Preheat the barbecue to 290°C (550°F) or to maximum heat.
- In a bowl, mix together all the patty ingredients. Stir well until ingredients are evenly distributed. Shape 4 patties and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and pesto.
- Stir and set aside.
- Cover and grill the patties for 6 to 7 minutes on each side, until the meat is well done.
- For the last 2 minutes of cooking, place the slices of tomato on the patties and top each with one slice of mozzarina di bufala.
- Grill the rolls for a few seconds.
- Spread some pesto mayonnaise on the inside of the rolls.
- Place a few leaves of arugula and then the patties on the lower half of the rolls.
- Garnish each burger with 2 leaves of basil.
- Close the rolls.
- Serve with a grilled vegetable salad.