- 4 medium-large portobello mushrooms
- 2 small green zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 2 peppers, various colours, each cut into quarters
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 4 thick slices
- 1 goat cheese log, sliced into 8 rounds
- 4 sesame or whole wheat kaiser rolls
- Dijon mustard and (or) mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 red tomato, ripe and firm, cut into thick slices
- 4 large leaves of fresh basil (or 8 small)
- A few leaves of baby arugula
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) olive oil
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch of dried chili pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together all the marinade ingredients.
- Remove the mushroom stems and clean underneath the caps.
- Place the mushrooms, zucchini, peppers and onion in the marinade. Stir occasionally.
- Heat the barbecue to medium-high heat.
- Brush clean and oil the grill.
- Drain the vegetables.
- Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, flipping them frequently (taking care not to break the mushrooms).
- Stuff the inside of the mushrooms with cheese - let melt.
- Toast the buns, about 1 minute on each side. If desired, spread with Dijon mustard and (or) mayonnaise.
- Place a stuffed mushroom on the bottom half of each bun.
- Top with grilled vegetables, one slice of tomato, basil and arugula.
- Cover with the top half of the buns and serve.