Stuffed quails with blue cheese and red grape sauce
- 200 g (7 oz) extra-lean chicken, ground
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) 35% cooking cream
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) blue cheese, crumbled
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chives, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 quails, partially deboned (ask your butcher)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) melted butter
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) demi-glace or 600 ml (2 1/2 cups) veal stock, reduced to half
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) port
- 250 ml (1 cup) seedless red grapes, cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a bowl, mix together the ground chicken, cream, cheese, chives, salt and pepper.
- Stir well until combined.
- Stuff the quails with the mixture and seal with toothpicks.
- Coat the quails with melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and cook for 35 to 40 minutes or until the temperature reaches 75°C (165°F), and is held there for 15 seconds.
- In a saucepan, heat the sugar and vinegar over medium-high heat.
- Keep an eye on the boiling mixture, without stirring, until the syrup turns amber.
- Add the demi-glace and the port.
- Turn down the heat and reduce slowly until desired consistency.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Add the grapes at the last minute.
- Top the quails with the sauce.
- Serve with mashed sweet potatoes and a vegetable of your choice.